Kill-Kare Raceway Bank 2013

Kill-Kare Raceway Bank 2013

Friday, May 10, 2013

Pro-Am Midwest Drift Union Round 1 @ Lucas Oil Raceway Indianapolis!

I will start this off by saying this was the best event I have been to, and probably the best I have driven since I've started drifting. After having to replace my bearings once more over the winter after an engine assembly failure from my last event @ Gateway the car ran better then it ever has. Coming into this event I had expected to drive on the years previous track which was a combination of the road course @ Lucas Raceway into a parking lot. I was surprised to find out that the track had changed to what they ran in 2010 which was a combination of the Oval and slight Z back to the front straight. This was the first time I had driven a course where you initiated on the bank and was actually pretty terrified. I took it easy my first few runs and despite my lack of experience remained calm and realized the bank was not where I should be worried.

The track soon showed where its difficulty laid after causing many drivers including myself to overshoot the transition between the bank and the Z infield. 



After several solid practice runs I was starting to get the hang of it. 


Did a few tandem runs during practice, despite having a bad entry I was able to hang with second place finisher Hooman Rahimi in his Nissan 350z.


  There were a total of 65 drivers registered some of them having their professional license, and this being my second competition event I didn't have very high expectations.  Going into qualifying at the drivers meeting they told us the target entry speed was over 55 mph. I remember looking down and seeing my needle at 60 right before I kicked the car out onto the bank.


With this run I was able to get 17th, one place off for the top 16 main event. I was bummed that I was that close, but realizing how far I've come, how well my car held up, and knowing that I drove my best, I was pretty excited that I did that well. 

Sat back and watched top 16!







Several Pictures from the event.












No comments:

Post a Comment